From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: View Performance (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 22:01:54 GMT
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Scott Shumaker<sshumaker@gmail.com> wrote:
> One question, though: Why are the emitted view results stored as
> erlang terms, as opposed to storing the JSON returned from the view
> server - which is what you'll be serving to the clients anyway?
>
> If you skipped the reverse json->erlang encoding, and additionally
> stored a cached json copy of each document alongside the document
> whenever a document in couchdb was created/updated (which you could
> incrementally generate in a separate erlang process so you don't have
> to slow down write performance) - and just pass this json copy to the
> view, you could basically eliminate the json->erlang conversion
> overhead entirely (since it would only be done asynchronously).
>
> Even if you need to store the emitted view results back into erlang,
> you could have a special optimization case for emitting (key, doc) -
> because you already have the document as both erlang/json (assuming
> you were storing cached json copies).  And include_docs would get
> faster since you wouldn't need to do the json conversion there either.
>
> Just a thought.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil? Have you tried
compiling CouchDB with HiPE enabled. I'm inclined to agree with you
that the large JSON values are probably a significant cause here.
Assuming your Erlang is HiPE enabled you can do something like this to
compile CouchDB:

    $ ./bootstrap
    $ ERLC_FLAGS="+native +inline +inline_list_funcs" ./configure
    $ make
    $ sudo make install

> Scott
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:42 PM, Scott Shumaker<sshumaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I should mention that we tend to emit (doc._id, doc) in our views - as
>> opposed to doc._id, null and using include_docs - because we found
>> that doc._id,null gave us a 30% speedup on building the views, but
>> cost us about the same on each additional hit to the view.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Scott Shumaker<sshumaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We see times that are considerably worse.  We mostly have maps - very
>>> few reduces.  We have 40k objects, about 25 design docs, and 90 views.
>>>  Although we're about to change the code to auto-generate the design
>>> docs based on the view filters used (re: view filter patch) - see if
>>> that helps.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's because we have larger objects - but re-indexing a typical
>>> new view takes > 5 minutes (with view filtering off).  Some are worse.
>>>  With view filtering on some can be quite fast - some views finish in
>>> like 10 seconds.  Interestingly, reindexing all views takes about an
>>> hour - with or without view filtering.  I'm guessing that a
>>> substantial part of the bottleneck is erlang -> json serialization.
>>> Many of our objects are heavily nested structures and exceed 10k in
>>> size.  One other note - when we tried dropping in the optimized
>>> 'main.js' posted on the mailing list, we saw an overall 20% speedup.
>>> Unfortunately, it wasn't compatible with the authentication stuff, and
>>> the deployment was a bit wacky, so we're holding off on that right
>>> now.

On