From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.1 release, second round
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 13:08:03 GMT

On Jul 8, 2009, at 3:43 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 11:04:32PM -0500, Curt Arnold wrote:
>> A couple of files from the 0.9.1 tag did not make it into the
>> release:
>>
>> Only in 0.9.1: acinclude.m4.in
>> Only in 0.9.1/m4: ac_check_curl.m4.gz
>> Only in 0.9.1/m4: ac_check_icu.m4.gz
>> Only in 0.9.1/share/www/script/test: attachment_names.js
>> Only in 0.9.1/src: Makefile.am
>
> There's actually a lot more than this:
>
>  nslater@tumbolia: /tmp $ find 0.9.1/ | wc -l
>  249
>
>  nslater@tumbolia: /tmp $ find apache-couchdb-0.9.1/ | wc -l
>  273
>
> I presume you ran:
>
>  nslater@tumbolia: /tmp $ diff -r 0.9.1 apache-couchdb-0.9.1 | grep
> 'Only in
>  0.9.1'
>  Only in 0.9.1: acinclude.m4.in
>  Only in 0.9.1: bootstrap
>  Only in 0.9.1/m4: ac_check_curl.m4.gz
>  Only in 0.9.1/m4: ac_check_icu.m4.gz
>  Only in 0.9.1/share/www/script/test: attachment_names.js
>  Only in 0.9.1/src: Makefile.am
>
> All of these are by design, except one:
>
>> attachment_names.js is referenced in share/www/script/couch_tests.js

Didn't pipe to grep, but only gave an excerpt of the results.  The
files that appear in the distribution are typically .in files or the
like that are generated from automake, etc.  Those files would likely
vary slightly depending on the versions or automake in use.  Those
would be the files that I'd be checking to see if the build is
reproducible.  I didn't have time to check it, but I'm assuming that
anyone running the same version of automake would be able to reproduce
the build.

> Someone forgot to add this to the Makefile.am, which is annoying.
>
>>  ./BUGS
>>  ./CHANGES
>>  ./THANKS
>
> Trivial.
>
>>  ./etc/couchdb/default.ini.tpl.in
>>  ./etc/couchdb/local.ini
>>  ./etc/couchdb/local_dev.ini
>>  ./etc/default/couchdb
>>  ./etc/launchd/org.apache.couchdb.plist.tpl.in
>>  ./etc/logrotate.d/couchdb.tpl.in
>
> I don't think we need a license notice in these configuration files.
>
>>  ./share/www/_sidebar.html
>
> Trivial.
>
>>  ./share/www/script/jquery.form.js
>>  ./share/www/script/jquery.js
>>  ./share/www/script/json2.js
>
> Third party.
>
>>  ./src/couchdb/couch.app.tpl.in
>
>>  ./src/ibrowse/ibrowse.app
>
> Trivial.

>>  ./src/ibrowse/ibrowse_test.erl
>>  ./src/mochiweb/mochifmt.erl
>>  ./src/mochiweb/mochiweb_util.erl
>>  ./src/mochiweb/reloader.erl
>
> Third party.
>
>>  ./test/couch_config_test.erl
>>  ./test/couch_config_writer_test.erl
>>  ./test/runner.erl
>>  ./test/runner.sh
>
> Sigh, these should have a license notice.

The exception is pretty limited and some of those marked trivial have
substantial creativity.  The guidelines in the header policy is if in
doubt, put it in.  So I'd recommend putting them in.