From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timetable for 0.10.0
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 23:31:08 GMT
On 3/07/2009 3:45 AM, Damien Katz wrote:
> I think we plan on doing a 0.10.0 release within the next month or so,
> as it's been 3+ months since we did 0.9.0.
>
> We shouldn't worry about what features are ready, we should just pick a
> date to make a 0.10.x branch and then no new features go into the branch
> after that, just bug fixes. If it's not in trunk at that time, then it's
> not in the branch. We wait a week or so to see if any bugs are found,
> patch the branch as we go. Once we have a stable branch, then we release
> 0.10.0.
>
> I propose Friday, July 31st as the 0.10.x branch date. I don't care that
> much about the exact, but I do want to pick a date and stick with it,
> because I don't want to get into the same situation we did with 0.9.0,
> where it was held up for months as we waited way too long for features I
> was working on. (sorry)

As others have mentioned, I fear some of those features that miss may be
worthwhile (*cough* windows *cough*)

Would a pure feature-based strategy work?  IOW, after some date only
*previously agreed* features will be considered.  Hopefully this should
still provide some focus for people, as the longer these previously
agreed features take to land, the longer the following release gets
pushed out for yet newer features, so everyone wins by getting these
features landed.

This might also help me personally contribute: the next few weeks are
likely to be full with "real work", regardless of what date couch
happens to target.  By being flexible with dates there is more scope for
me to find time to help.  I'm obviously not suggesting the release worry
about me personally, but there may enough of us in the same situation to
make it worthwhile...

Cheers,

Mark