From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Timetable for 0.10.0
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:05:47 GMT

On Jul 3, 2009, at 7:28 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Noah Slater<nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 12:16:55PM -0700, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>>
>>> I agree with Damien here. We should schedule a release for the end
>>> of
>>> the month and stick to our guns. There are lots of features that
>>> won't
>>> make it into 0.10, but that's what 0.11 is for.
>>
>> Why base our releases on time?
>>

> The reason to set a date and then work toward is because this is open
> source, and otherwise we are likely to end up with an indefinitely
> long period while all the awesome features come in. I think what we've
> done since 0.9 is nearly worthy of a new release, and setting a
> deadline for the end of the month at least gets me motivated to finish
> adding the features that fill out the suite of new functionality
> started by _changes and the new _list API.
>
> I think a time-based release process is healthy, as in open-source
> there will never be a particular moment when all the features are
> ready. As soon as one gets ready others will come along being "almost
> ready" and that's how we ended up with 6 months between 0.8.1 and 0.9.

What Chris said.

There is a lot of opioni from other open source projects, including
Ubuntu, that time-based releases are more productive than feature
based releases:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeBasedReleases

I think feature based releases make more sense early in a project,
when core features are still undone and the api is changing rapidly.

But I think we are stable and large enough to warrant date-based
releases. Especially since we now many people are working concurrently
on the code base. Delaying the release because a feature isn't ready
means users have to choose between old code and apis, or potentially
unstable features and apis. Time based releases also means new code
get tested sooner in real world conditions, which helps improve the
quality of the trunk too.

-Damien