From Michael McDaniel <couc...@autosys.us>
Subject Re: View Performance (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 14:02:47 GMT
On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:12:22PM +0300, Dmitry Unkovsky wrote:
> Can please someone give a very brief outline, how do I build erlview?
> Or just a  pointer to somewhere on internets to read for it.

  It would be helpful to see what errors you are getting.

  I just did the following on GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 8.04) and it
  compiled fine ...

   cd /tmp
   git clone  git://github.com/mmcdanie/erlview.git
   cd erlview
   cd src
   erl -make
   ls -l ../ebin

total 36
-rw-r--r-- 1 mmcdanie mmcdanie 14720 2009-07-09 08:56 couch_query_servers.beam
-rw-r--r-- 1 mmcdanie mmcdanie 18536 2009-07-09 08:56 erlview.beam

  The couch_query_servers.erl in src is old and probably needs updating.

  Of course, you will have to read the README in the top directory
  for some extra information on changes to local.ini file and
  couch_query_servers.erl

~M

> [...]
> wrapper...")
>
> Sorry for disturbing, probably I'd better go reading more docs, but as
> they say "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy", if it's
> question of a few lines then I'll ask and you please forgive noob ;)
>
> Best, Dmitry.
>
> 2009/7/7 Michael McDaniel <coucdby@autosys.us>:
> > On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 12:29:08PM -0700, Scott Shumaker wrote:
> >> The erlang view server does sound like it would be a big performance
> >> win - although I think it will make CouchDB meet with more resistance
> >> to mass-adoption if it becomes the preferred view path - simply
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >  Though someone could write a parse transformer so that
> >  scripts entered via, e.g. Futon, could be closer to the
> >  default javascript syntax, even when using an Erlang
> >  view server (e.g. erlview).
> >
> >  Or even write wrappers which used more generally-familiar
> >  syntax.  I started to do that with erlview, write wrappers
> >  which helped simplify view writing.
> >
> > ~Michael
> >

> >> because Erlang is a much less common language than, say, Javascript -
> >> and Javascript is a more natural fit to deal with JSON data.  Right
> >> now, I don't have to train my team up on a new language to merely be
> >> clients of CouchDB - and Javascript is far less intimidating and well
> >> documented to the novice.  For us, there's additional benefits since
> >> most of our codebase is in Javascript anyway - so our views can
> >> leverage functionality by including code from our app.  But if the
> >> erlang view server performance turns out to be significantly better,
> >> we'll probably have to bite the bullet and rewrite all of our views.
> >>
> >> Still, I'm pretty convinced that you could make optimizations to make
> >> the javascript view server nearly as fast as the erlang one -
> >> especially since, when you really think about it - data comes into
> >> CouchDB as JSON, gets run through a Javascript view server, and gets
> >> returned to the client as JSON.  With JSON in and out (which is barely
> >> touched by CouchDB - other than _id and _rev), it does seem like you
> >> could avoid most of the conversion overhead.  And you could certainly
> >> re-architect couchjs to have a more efficient communication path.
> >>
> >> I know the standard response is 'you want it - well, patches are
> >> welcome!' but I'm speaking as a client of CouchDB - one that is very
> >> busy trying to get a product launched (and not blessed with enough
> >> free time at the present moment to really learn Erlang, let alone
> >> contribute significant amounts of code).  So I'm just trying to be an
> >> advocate for the many developers who would love to use (or are using)
> >> CouchDB as a 'better SQL' - a persistent storage backend that makes a
> >> lot more sense for storing and dealing with the kinds of data most web
> >> apps face.  I think there are lot more people like me out there, too -
> >> and tons more who are waiting with bated breath to see how CouchDB

RAM,