From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: View Performance (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2009 08:53:21 GMT
On Sat, Jul 04, 2009 at 03:26:23PM -0700, Scott Shumaker wrote:
> 53K docs apparently take 68s to be converted to JSON, and received by
> the dummy server (with no docs emitted) - or about 780 docs/second.
> couchjs is slower than bork.rb in this case (unsurprising -  bork.rb
> not really parsing the data)
> filtering on the couch side is an enormous win for our test case.
>
> K/V inserts - (5*53K in (200-68)s) = ~2000 per second
>
> This is a pretty big difference from Brian's results (8000/sec),
> although we're dealing with many more docs, and without comparing
> hardware specs, it's difficult to draw conclusions.

Hmm, my hardware is pretty lame (Thinkpad X30 laptop, P3-M 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM,
2.5" IDE drive). Maybe it's because you're using a substantially larger
dataset than mine, e.g. more Btree nodes to update or more flushes to disk
or something. I'll try increasing the size of my benchmark test, but
annoyingly RestClient inherits Net::HTTP's 60-second request timeout, and
the high-level RestClient.get / RestClient.put API doesn't allow it to be
overridden. I'll probably monkey-patch Net::HTTP for simplicity.

Regards,

Brian.