From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: View Performance (was Re: The 1.0 Thread)
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:06:35 GMT
On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:01:54AM +0200, Chris Anderson wrote:
> The slow performance you describe seems out of the ordinary.

That description matches exactly what I see. Admittedly the hardware I'm
using is low-end (most development is on a 1.2GHz P4 laptop), but whilst I
can insert ~600 docs per second via bulk_docs, I can only index maybe 10
docs per second, emitting about 100 K/V pairs per second.

These are rough figures from the real application, and I have yet to
reproduce them in a standalone controlled testbed.

The docs I have are small, and the amount of Javascript processing is medium
(iterating through the object members and doing some regexp munging)

> Perhaps
> you would benefit from upgrading Erlang or CouchDB?

In my case I have SVN head CouchDB, and erlang 12B5 from Ubuntu Jaunty.

> Is there any
> chance you are writing reduces which build up large data structures?

Hmm. I do have some reduces which build up data structures, but they are not
large. For example, there is one which builds an object map of
{class: count} but there are only three object classes in my app. The others
are counters or max/min calculations.

However that will be an interesting bit of benchmarking research to find out
if that's the bottleneck.

> How many views do you have and in how many design documents are they stored?

In my case: I have one design doc containing six views.

Regards,

Brian.