From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Timetable for 0.10.0
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:31:06 GMT

On 7 Jul 2009, at 09:31, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 04:05:47PM -0400, Damien Katz wrote:
>> But I think we are stable and large enough to warrant date-based
>> releases.
>> Especially since we now many people are working concurrently on the
>> code base.
>> Delaying the release because a feature isn't ready means users have
>> to choose
>> between old code and apis, or potentially unstable features and
>> apis. Time
>> based releases also means new code get tested sooner in real world
>> conditions,
>> which helps improve the quality of the trunk too.
>
> How about making this formal then, instead of ad-hoc?
>
> We could set four quarterly milestones to release by, one every
> three months.
>
> If 0.9.1 counts as our third this year, our next would be September.

That would work if the Karmic cut-off date wouldn't be early August :) I
am all for doing the right thing for CouchDB and not anybody else's
project. But I'm really motivated to get 0.10 into the hand of the
upcoming
Ubuntu users instead of 0.9.

If we start there now, we could have releases on August 1st, November
1st,
February 1st and May 1st. These dates nicely avoid christmas season when
everyone is busy anyway.

Cheers
Jan