From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: changing branch commit merge block procedure
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 19:14:34 GMT
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
>> Devs,
>>
>> We've talked some about discontinuing use of svn's merge/block
>> procedure for maintaining old release branches, in favor just asking
>> committers to remember to put applicable patches into the 0.9.x
>> branch.
>>
>> There is discussion to be had about what patches are applicable to
>> point release branches.
>>
>> Perspectives?
>>

> I've gotten into the habit of making the decision right away and
> adding or blocking the commit. That said I could also go for a "decide
> to release, post a list of commits, and the comiter is responsible for
> his/her list" with community input as needed. I'd think that would
> allow for greater community awareness on what is/isn't hitting the
> maintenance branches instead of relying on a comitter's judgement
> alone.
>
> That said, I'll do as I'm told. I ride trunk so the decision doesn't
> really affect me personally beyond having lots of people yell at me if
> some behavior change sneaks into a maintenance branch...

The point of dropping the bookkeeping is that it doesn't really matter
and is just more work for developers. If something needs to go into
the maintenance branches, the users of those maintenance branches will
let us know. Developers should use their discretion backporting fixes,
with the goal of making the least amount of changes possible, while
still fixing crucial bugs.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net