From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: changing branch commit merge block procedure
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 19:26:24 GMT

On Jun 1, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Devs,
>
> We've talked some about discontinuing use of svn's merge/block
> procedure for maintaining old release branches, in favor just asking
> committers to remember to put applicable patches into the 0.9.x
> branch.

My experience is that by default, patches shouldn't be included in
branches. The point of branches is to provide a an increasingly stable
code base, so that users of the branch can get updates and upgrade
with little fear the update will introduce a change in behavior or
regression into their production systems.

Therefore, only patches that fix serious bugs (data loss, hangs) or
regressions (features that worked in previous versions no longer work)
should be considered for merging. Any patch that is merged back should
be justifiable as to why it's important enough to risk destabilizing
the branch.

I think idea that we need to track all the patches going into trunk
and the branches, because we might forget an important patch. Yes, we
might forget an important patch, but then we can simply apply to the
next release of the branch if its that important. Rather than track
all the patches for all branches, we should rely on the community to
tells us what's an important patch and what is not.

-Damien