From Justin Balthrop <jus...@geni.com>
Subject Re: multi-level views
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:24:12 GMT
Hmm... I'm not sure how performance would be with copying to a new
database (option number 2 below). We were seriously considering this
option for our application, but I'm afraid of the contention for
simultaneous writes. I guess I won't know for sure unless I try it.

If I was going to go down this road though, I would almost rather just
store the full document rather than slicing it up in the first place.
But then will the lack of partial updates kill us? These documents can
get pretty big, and we would have to transfer the entire document for
every modification. Or am I overestimating the cost of this? One
reason I like chainable map/reduce, is that it really eliminates the
need for partial updates entirely. Just slice your documents up into
whatever atomic piece gives you the best concurrent performance, and
then easily assemble them back into whole documents in the first map/
reduce phase.

I'm also still worried about reduce performance. If I have a map key
that has thousands of values, then all of those need to be reduced
every time a document adds or removes a value from that key. If the
values on the leaf nodes were each stored in another btree (this could
be based on a threshold so you don't create btrees for very small sets
of values), then only a small number of reduces would be necessary
when adding or removing map values for a given key. And whenever a
reduce value changes, you just cascade that modification to the next
map step just like you would if a document value changes. This should
allow you to experiment with subsequent steps all you want without
ever regenerating the results for the previous map/reduce steps.

Justin