From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: status of multipart requests / attachment replication
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 15:28:48 GMT

On May 5, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> Hi devs, in COUCHDB-163 we enabled the replicator to download
>> attachments
>> without Base64 encoding.  We'd like to do the same for push
>> replication /
>> attachment uploads.
>>
>> MIME multipart is one way to go about that.  Has anyone put in some
>> work on
>> that front?  are there other alternatives we should be thinking
>> about?
>
> Standalone attachment PUT is one option, which would mirror nicely the
> pull/GET case.

That wouldn't work for replication because you'd have to post the
documents without attachments, then add attachments in separate steps.
This means the document is in weird not-quite-saved state while
waiting for attachments.

I think we need mime-multipart for replication, that solves all the
problems cleanly.

-Damien