From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reads vs Writes and contention
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 14:25:37 GMT

On 1 May 2009, at 16:36, Kevin Jackson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in any experiences people may have had with couch
> reading and writing many records at the same time and what kind of
> pitfalls there may be regarding the possible contention of
> records/documents
>
> I'm intending to write some small benchmarks, but I was wondering if
> anyone had seen any problems previously.

Sorry, a late reply. In a nutshell, if you expect a lot of writes to a
single
logical piece of data, it makes sense to split up the piece into several
documents, a new one per write and using views to fetch all related
docs for your entity in one go.

On a lower level, lightning-speed can be achieved if you keep your
harddrive head writing without seeks. For that you want a big enough
FS cache to serve your read requests and potentially an HTTP cache
in front of CouchDB for additional speedups.

Cheers
Jan