From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Choosing the binary installer
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 00:02:16 GMT
On 5/04/2009 9:47 AM, Alexander Chekmarev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've found that Apache Lenya supports both windows and linux, this could be
> an example and way to learn for me, hence I decided to consider how did they
> make it. Beside of other, they use Nullsoft Scriptable Install System(
> http://nsis.sourceforge.net), license here
> http://nsis.sourceforge.net/License. We could use it to generate
> user-friendly windows install package for Couch DB.

NSIS has a fine reputation and should be very easy to use for couch's
requirements - but it is still Windows only, so probably doesn't help
from a 'windows and linux' point-of-view more than other alternatives.
WiX would probably be a "better" choice from the POV of the person
installing, but that would be more effort for small gain.

However, this probably is putting the cart before the horse and will be
the least of your worries.  Once you have your build process
constructing a 'template' of the built file-system layout in a 'temp'
directory, arranging for a installation package to plonk that on the
user's PC with an install wizard will look like a walk in the park :)

Cheers,

Mark