From Zachary Zolton <>
Subject Re: Pig, et al?
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:45:36 GMT
A compiler could be a good option for doing this, but AFAICT many Pig
examples would seem to operate as a sequence of view operations. So,
if I had to implement this as a front-end/client DSL, it seems that I
would lose the potential to interleave Pig operations to take
advantage of pipelining optimizations. Oh well...

Perhaps a higher-order JavaScript library, to DRY up views, would be
more pragmatic...?

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Chris Anderson <> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Zachary Zolton
> <> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> Has anyone looked into how a high-level data-processing language could
>> integrate with CouchDB?
>> I've been reading a bit about (fellow Apache project) Pig, which
>> implements features analogous to CouchDB views and combinative
>> operations over views. I'm guessing it's not a perfect fit —otherwise
>> I wager I'd have heard some mention of it on this mailing list.
> I think people are generally pretty happy writing views as JS
> functions. Pig would probably be a decent fit, except that Hadoop M/R
> does not really reduce, at least not in the sense that CouchDB does.
> That said, it may be possible to write a "compiler" for Pig (or a
> dialect of Pig Latin) that generates JS map/reduce views for CouchDB.
> If such things float your boat, I say go for it.
> --
> Chris Anderson

View raw message