From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Pig, et al?
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:58:51 GMT
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Zachary Zolton
<zachary.zolton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Has anyone looked into how a high-level data-processing language could
> integrate with CouchDB?
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/pig/PigOverview
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~olston/publications/sigmod08.pdf
>
> I've been reading a bit about (fellow Apache project) Pig, which
> implements features analogous to CouchDB views and combinative
> operations over views. I'm guessing it's not a perfect fit —otherwise
> I wager I'd have heard some mention of it on this mailing list.

I think people are generally pretty happy writing views as JS
functions. Pig would probably be a decent fit, except that Hadoop M/R
does not really reduce, at least not in the sense that CouchDB does.

That said, it may be possible to write a "compiler" for Pig (or a
dialect of Pig Latin) that generates JS map/reduce views for CouchDB.

If such things float your boat, I say go for it.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com