From Barry Wark <barryw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:46:50 GMT
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Barry Wark <barrywark@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't claim to have groked CouchDB enough to know what the
>> priorities for GSoC projects should be, but the missing feature that
>> is preventing my organization from using CouchDB is the ability to
>> combine view results using boolean combinations (e.g. I want all the
>> doc ids of documents in view1 AND in view2 or all the doc ids of
>> documents in view1 OR view2 etc.), including temporary views.
>>
>> I suspect this would be best implemented in Erlang, though perhaps the
>> proposal for enhancing the external view servers or better Lucene
>> integration is the better approach.
>>

> This is a good proposal. Versions of it have been discussed on the
> list and IRC on and off for a while.
>
> Views have a by-docid index, which means docid intersections can
> happen in constant space as long as startkey/endkey aren't used.

I should also say that I'm not opposed to putting my money where my
mouth is. I won't be able to dedicate any significant time to it until
early 2010, but at that point I would be happy to help with the
implementation of this feature. Of course, I'd be grateful to anyone
who has a a crack at it in the mean time!

Barry