From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Transactional _bulk_docs
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2009 15:27:44 GMT

On Feb 6, 2009, at 5:48 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>

>> The CouchDB project came into the Incubator with a lot of momentum
>> and
>> direction, and I consider part of my role with the project, to help
>> insulate Damien from the mailing-list chatter, especially when he's
>> deep in code. I acknowledge that could be a mistake as well, if it
>> leads to community misapprehension.
>
> Seriously?  The PMC chair has handlers to keep him isolated from the
> community?

Must you be so combative? He's simply saying that other project
members prefer to spend time interacting with the community while I
focus on some deep coding issues. They know if they can handle stuff
there so I don't have to, I can move faster on the coding.

>>> The whole thing started because I closed a bug with a comment that
>>> there must be an _upcoming discussion_.
>>
>> I sympathize with Antony's predicament. He's been using bulk doc
>> transactions in a high-pressure environment, and it works for him.
>> It's understandable that he'd be upset, first hearing about the patch
>> like this.
>
> Had someone proposed the change on the dev list, let him participate
> in a debate about the merits, and the change still happened, there
> would be nothing to talk about.
>
> geir

I'll post details of the proposed changes soon. In the meantime, I'm
still figuring it all out. I understand you don't like that I work
that way. But I can't work any other way when it comes to deep coding
issues. The act of coding itself ensures I have a completely solid
understanding of all aspects. I've thrown away on this project 10s of
thousands of lines of codes that I only understood was wrong once I
had begun or finished implementing it. It's how I work and generally,
it works well.

-Damien