From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transactional _bulk_docs
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 07:49:53 GMT
The thing that concerns me here is that the key point isn't even a
technical issue. We could elect to keep the existing transactional API
for single-node use, and in any case extending the transactional API
to multi-node clusters could be done later - it's not impossible,
merely code that some PMC members assert they personally won't want to
write in some putative multi-node future, not work that the future
community won't want to do. This effectively private decision to
remove an incredible useful API/characteristic is not a technical
decision. I can understand not ADDING a feature - it's open source
after all, but REMOVING a feature for these reasons?

Having a transactional API is orthogonal to having "CouchDB as
database that can scale to any number of host nodes while presenting
the same API to its clients".

And Damien, when you say that "real time communication with everyone
together is damn useful" you must mean "everyone who matters". That
may be true for a formal PMC vote, but it's not true in any other
sense. I for one find it incredibly offensive.

On 05/02/2009, at 1:21 PM, Damien Katz wrote:

> This decision was discussed and made on IRC.
>
> -Damien
>
> On Feb 4, 2009, at 9:26 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> can you point me to a reference to where the PMC made this decision?
>>
>> I'm interested in the subject for it's own sake, and I'm also
>> interested in figuring out where decisions are made in this
>> project, since I didn't see this one go by on a mail list.
>>
>> geir
>>
>> On Feb 4, 2009, at 9:13 PM, Damien Katz wrote:
>>
>>> Geir, there was a decision made by the PMCs to change the
>>> transaction model to support partitioned databases. It is a change
>>> I am currently working on.
>>>
>>> -Damien

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

75% of statistics are made up on the spot.