From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:21:53 GMT
Martin,

   I'm very keen on relationships between documents. Coming from the
description logic community, I'd like to allow users to declare
certain fields that relate documents and then compute transitive
closures over dags whose nodes are documents and whose arcs the
fields of interest. This goes against the grain of  couchdb as
collections of unrelated documents, I know, but it's what I want to
do as couchdb's schema-less design offers many advantages over
relational databases. Relational databases aren't that great for
storing graphs either.

   I don't need to run full classification algorithms in the document
store, but would like to just maintain relationships (user-defined)
and transitive closures of them. Inferencing would perhaps be better
done externally similar to the hypercouch work. So this would best be
served by pluggable indexing and maybe pluggable storage, though I
think I could live without the latter for now.

   So I'm very excited about your ideas. I too have been reviewing
the code with this in mind and I would agree with others that it's
perhaps a post 1.0 task. From the little time I've spent chasing down
a couple of bugs I've seen there are a few subtle aspects to it. I've
also noticed that the style of design in this community is more
bottoms up, which is how it should be when building something new, so
prototypes are perhaps better for fleshing out ideas. Anyway I'm very
happy to help an d collaborate on this as I can.

Cheers,

Bob

Robert Dionne
Chief Programmer