From Martin Scholl ...@diskware.net>
Subject Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines
Date Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:51:01 GMT
Chris Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Martin,
>>
>> Very cool ideas. We've been discussing erlang plugins. The
>> conversation has generally gotten as far as, "erlang plugins... yeah
>> we should have those."
>
> I agree this is cool, but I think it would be healthier for the
> project to wait until we release a rock-solid 1.0.
>
> There are some incredibly non-obvious things happening inside, and a
> big disruption right now wouldn't necessarily keep them all in
> balance. Once we've met 1.0, we'll have a solid basis for comparison,
> of any alternate implementations.
>
> Then, let the fun begin. :)
>
> Martin, I'd very much like to hear more about the sorts of indexers
> you'd build. Sounds exciting.
I'd like to experiment with Merkle trees, because these could turn out
to be a good foundation for several use-cases:
- index/tree-synchronization: replication is trivial with merkle trees,
only changed parts of the tree get replicated in a secure manner.
- secure document storage: modified documents (disc corruption, sw
failure or even the "bad cracker"-case)
- by using GPG/PGP-signatures probably even cryptographical secure
design doc code signing, e.g. "safe applications"

Furthermore, there are a lot of other clever map data structures
available (not in the sense of a->b , but a<->b) which could become
quite handy to store document relationships. I'm sure, the database ppl
out here have many more ideas about what could be added to CouchDB.

Martin