From "Chris Anderson" <>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2008 05:43:59 GMT
On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Antony Blakey <> wrote:
> On 13/12/2008, at 3:48 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>> Antony, I think you'll find that once you've written the appropriate
>> JavaScript tests for this feature, it'll be hard to resist adding
>> escaping to the Erlang db-name validation code.
> Actually, the name validation would merely consist of 'not-empty'.
> The gating issue is getting agreement about the on-disk structure, because
> the key change is breaking the name <=> filename equivalence assumption.

Sure - I guess I was referring to the call sites. Replacing the now
obsolete validation function with the URL encoder seems like a good
way to implement.

I'd approach the issue at the URL encoding/decoding side of the Erlang
stack-trace, just so we can have the same name format throughout the
codebase. If the current codebase is just looking at strings like
then we'd know we don't have to worry about any high-byte problems.
The quoted string above is pretty close to legal under the current

This may be six of one, half-dozen of the other, but I know CouchDB's
character support is trustworthy so far, so it seems like introducing
the enhancements at the edges is a worthy goal.

Chris Anderson

View raw message