From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.9.0 Release
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:38:33 GMT
On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:29 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we are just about ready for a 0.9.0 release and will be feature
> complete enough to be considered Beta.

Woo hoo!

> Two things I'd like before we release 0.9.0 is some replication testing of
> the new security stuff and to finally change "count" to "limit" in view
> query string arguments.

count -> limit sounds simple enough.

Perhaps if you wrote up in English what the replication security
requirements are, someone else could add the tests.

> Also, some people have complaints about the programmatic interfaces for
> map/reduce/rereduce functionality. If anyone wants to change these, or any
> other major aspects of CouchDB interfaces, now is the time. It only gets
> harder as we move forward.

I'll say that I'm quite happy with the reduce/rereduce API as it
currently stands.

However, I'd like to make sure that there is room for some stock
Erlang reduce functions to be available without a Javascript function
definition. For starters reduce=row_count and reduce=sum would both be
handy for a lot of applications, and implementing them as Erlang would
mean that group=true queries would be fast. I think these features can
be added in the future without breaking compatibility with existing
libraries, so they don't need to happen now, but I wanted to bring it
up in case there's something I'm not seeing.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com