From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.0.0 wishlist/roadmap
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 22:08:00 GMT

On 06/12/2008, at 5:45 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Benoit Chesneau
> <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Anyway so the tool should be in erlang ? I take it. I would like if
>> possible to not rely in http api for this one and just add a function
>> that could be used in erlang shell and then call by any script.
>>

> The tool could also be written as a couchjs script, which could just
> put the data to stdout. However, that would be using the HTTP api.
> (couchjs could use a little work to make command-line arguments
> available in the runtime, but even without changing it should be
> possible to build a proof-of-concept)

Backup/Restore are trivial to write, and an Erlang plugin will be easy
- it could respond with a tar or zip format stream over HTTP. The
reverse could happen for restore, although I've had problems with
Couch accepting chunked format input, which you would want. I've not
checked whether Couch fully streams in both directions.

Anyway, I have a commercial requirement for this, so I'll do it unless
someone else gets there before me.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

A reasonable man adapts himself to suit his environment. An
unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his environment to
suit himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
   -- George Bernard Shaw