From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: API suggestions
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2008 03:41:46 GMT

On 29/12/2008, at 1:48 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Otoh, I do understand the value to those who require mathematical
> precision, especially for reduce queries, where application filtering
> is not as feasible. And... endkey is usually used be people who are
> trying to do something precise, so they are probably more likely to
> pay attention to the docs and come to understand the exclusive
> right-hand side. Most of the endkeys I've used would be compatible
> with the proposed change. eg: I haven't actually been expecting the
> key ["mystring",{}] to be in the result sets that come from using that
> endkey.

I use precise endkeys with descending=true when paging backwards, or
capturing the end of a range when the the user deletes all elements on
the last page of a view and I need to refresh that page (which
involves finding the final page of a paged view). I don't use page
offsets at all for scalability, which is why being able to swap
endkey(_docid)/startkey(_docid) is important.

So given that descending=true swaps the start/end parameters, I think
the inclusiveness would have to swap as well.

And it probably wouldn't eliminate the ["mystring", {}] / "mystring
\uFFF8" techniques, because the problem of generating a precise
succ(key) is more complicated, for strings at least, especially once
CouchDB handles Unicode collation properly.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn
disinclination to do so.
   -- Douglas Adams