From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2008 04:29:33 GMT

On 27/12/2008, at 2:41 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> This does nothing to address the restrictions on the character set of
> database and design doc names. Antony's patch looks like it works as
> advertised. If people are happy with the way it reorganizes couchdb
> data files, then I don't see a reason not to apply it (especially with
> the addition of a slug).

It was built before the changes to the view server, so it doesn't
apply cleanly to head. If the change is approved in principle, then
I'm happy to do the work to make it slug-based i.e. <filtered-name> +
<md5>, where filtering removes all the special characters, prefixes
and sequences, and doesn't append an md5 if the filtered and raw names
are the same.

I'm ambivalent about the fact that it nests the derived data (e.g.
views) within the database directory. I think there's a valid argument
against that, based on the physical separation of the canonical data
and the derived data, but as I say, I'm ambivalent. I'll change it, if
you want, to use two directories per database, one for canonical data
and one for derived data.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.