From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2008 05:58:19 GMT

On 13/12/2008, at 4:13 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> On 13/12/2008, at 3:48 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>>
>>> Antony, I think you'll find that once you've written the appropriate
>>> JavaScript tests for this feature, it'll be hard to resist adding
>>> escaping to the Erlang db-name validation code.
>>
>> Actually, the name validation would merely consist of 'not-empty'.
>>
>> The gating issue is getting agreement about the on-disk structure,
>> because
>> the key change is breaking the name <=> filename equivalence
>> assumption.
>>

> Sure - I guess I was referring to the call sites. Replacing the now
> obsolete validation function with the URL encoder seems like a good
> way to implement.
>
> I'd approach the issue at the URL encoding/decoding side of the Erlang
> stack-trace, just so we can have the same name format throughout the
> codebase. If the current codebase is just looking at strings like
> "Ser+vices%2Fnew+-+%E2%88%9E%E0%A4%B6%E0%A4%9B%D8%BA%D8%B4%EA
> %B0%A5%EA%B1%B8%E3%83%9A%E3%83%9C-lhxj+E81IP9xm+0ssUSsQ=="
> then we'd know we don't have to worry about any high-byte problems.
> The quoted string above is pretty close to legal under the current
> ruleset.

The codebase doesn't really see those strings, it sees the decoded
name e.g. full Unicode. The HTTP layer sees the encoded value in the
URL, but that's normal for HTTP. I have used a Unicode request string
through Safari without a problem.

Those names are only generated at the point of filesystem access
within Couch, where a given { object name + purpose } has to be mapped
to a filepath for the purpose of opening/creating/deleting a file.

In any case I strongly prefer the second filesystem layout I
presented, which involves simple changes in just a few locations.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn
disinclination to do so.
   -- Douglas Adams