From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:03:38 GMT

On 12/12/2008, at 8:18 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> Well, you could always return an error if truncation is needed.
>
> I think doing the MD5 stuff is a little OTT.

IMO returning an error is just pushing a desire to avoid work (once)
onto every single user, who has to understand an additional error
opportunity. Anyone dealing with meta-apps has to validate and/or
check for that error. Someone has to document that an error can be
thrown.

Why not just do the MD5 and be done with it - erlang:md5(Data) ->
Digest ? You remove any limit on the name of a design document, or,
for that matter, a database (well, it can't be empty, but then that
isn't a name, and obeys 0,1,∞). I think you've already agreed that
URL encoding is a good idea, so this is hardly much effort.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.
   -- Steven Wright