From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: slash escaping (was 0.9.0 Release)
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2008 05:07:33 GMT

On 14/12/2008, at 2:47 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> Perhaps your filename scheme could be appended to a slug (based on the
> safe-chars) so that sysadmins could still use meaningful file globs to
> eg batch rsync .couch files and view directories.

The filename encoder can use any scheme, so yes that is trivial. It
would only be (theoretical) a prefix of the readable chars because of
length constraints. Note that there is no guarantee that slugs would
be unique. I considered punycode, but given that it needs to deal with
case-insensitive FS, slashes, limited length, it was simplest to cut
to the chase and just use the digest.

Regarding your request however, a better way to determine safe-chars
according to the underlying filesystem is required IMO to avoid the
overt roman script-only design. If you think it's essential that *you*
can read the filenames in a terminal, then surely it's essential that
a chinese/russian/greek/swedish/thai etc developer has the same
facility. Otherwise it's not a *design requirement* per se, but rather
a preference.

I'm a pure english speaker myself, but I am about to deploy a couch
system to an asian (government) environment with many millions of
users (with, BTW, a link to CouchDB on every page). In the future I
will have to sell this technology and do technology transfer to local
developers - and that is made very much more difficult with the
current vigorously asserted english-only design decisions because it's
a significant political liability.

> Readability / globbableness is also nice when you're trying to figure
> out which views use the most space on the filesystem, a common task.

That's why the actual name is in the 'name' file.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies.
   -- C. A. R. Hoare