From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: default port with make dev
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 01:28:34 GMT
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe couchdb port could be changed with make dev. So you could test a
> new version while you have another running. I've lost couple of
> minutes figuring what was wrong with ./utils/run since I had 0.8.1
> couchhdb already running on 5884 ;)

I prefer having it show up on the same port by default (I tend to run
so many versions of CouchDB that trying to formalize alternate ports
would be impractical). Note that you only need to set local_dev.ini's
port once, and that it won't be changed during the ./configure make
cycle.

Perhaps the best way to channel this energy would be in better error
handling and messages when CouchDB encounters a problem on booting.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com