From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB Bugs
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:42:02 GMT
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 04:14:17PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> I got a bug submission system running for Futon. Basically the idea is that
>> people can write tests directly in Futon and then submit them to an Appengine
>> web service. There's also a listing/search mechanism in Futon for submitted
>> bugs.
>
> There are a number of issues with this that I can see:
>
>  * This should really just use JIRA, which is our single location for issue
>   tracking and reporting.

I originally meant for this to be on the order of a 'paste service for
couchdb bugs'. To me it would seem like there needs to be some sort of
noise reduction between anyone accidentally hitting submit and tickets
being created. That said, if a bug does need to become a ticket, the
idea would be to create a full fledged ticket in JIRA and then focus
on that.

>  * We don't want to tie our selves to an external service such, which may go
>   away or which would force us to import and integrate with the Apache infrastructure.

It's a pretty dumb service which should be easily movable to any
semi-permanent public server. In terms of history of the bugs stored
in it etc, see above. Perhaps I should emphasize the paste aspects of
life duration for bugs in the system.

>  * Any code submissions must be vetted for legal issues, JIRA already provides a
>   permanent way to do and record this information.

If by vetted you mean I have to click a check box that says the code
is released under the Apache License, that can be added.

> Otherwise, cool. I'm just not so sure we should automate the submission process.

Like I say, think pastes for the time being. While making it easy for
people to create JIRA issues from a given paste is on the agenda, this
is way below ticket tracking IMO.