From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB Bugs
Date Sun, 02 Nov 2008 21:43:01 GMT

On Nov 2, 2008, at 22:19 , Noah Slater wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 04:14:17PM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>> I got a bug submission system running for Futon. Basically the idea
>> is that
>> people can write tests directly in Futon and then submit them to an
>> Appengine
>> web service. There's also a listing/search mechanism in Futon for
>> submitted
>> bugs.

Paul, outstanding work, I just tried it and it is mighty cool. I can
see how we gather a significant amount of test-cases using this.

> There are a number of issues with this that I can see:

Noah, thanks for your input, I think these are valid concernes.

> * This should really just use JIRA, which is our single location for
> issue
>   tracking and reporting.

This is not for bug reporting but easy creation, sharing and
validation of test cases. I believe Paul is working on JIRA
integration that can be used once a test-case is "validated" by one of
the developers.

Test-cases are not tied to bugs or issues. If we have a way of easily
collecting loads of them, way to go! :D

> * We don't want to tie our selves to an external service such, which
> may go
>   away or which would force us to import and integrate with the
> Apache infrastructure.

I think the backend is easily portable. For a proof of concept the
Google AppEngine is not a bad choice. Running this on top of CouchDB
would be an ideal dogfood thing. I hope we can integrate this with the
the ASF infrastructure.

> * Any code submissions must be vetted for legal issues, JIRA already
> provides a
>   permanent way to do and record this information.

Small patches do not have to be vetted. Code that goes into the
repository will need to be processed by a developer anyway. This is,
again, just for easily creating test-cases.

Cheers
Jan