From "Randall Leeds" <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need help debugging mochiweb/Safari HTTP problems
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:24:32 GMT
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:

> document creation. The problem is the generated id for the document is a
> UUID generated server side, so the server has no way to distinguish if a
> request is a new request or a resend of an already processed request, and so
> generates another UUID and thus creates another new document. But if the
> UUID is generated by the client, then the resend will cause a conflict
> error, that UUID already exists in the DB, thus eliminating the duplicate
> data.

It seems to me the easiest solution is that the client should probably be
responsible for generating UUIDs.
Is there a counter-argument that indicates CouchDB being responsible for
this? The only one I come up with quickly is that it puts an extra burden on
the client. Not such a huge burden though. As far as the server goes, client
generation seems to adhere to the wonderful tenet K.I.S.S.

-R