From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB code coverage and profiling
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:08:15 GMT

On Jul 3, 2008, at 16:07, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 03:47:09PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> Yeah, I don't know what the right place is, but it'd be nice if it
>> was easy
>> for a developer or tester to access. A flag will do for profiling,
>> but not for
>> the coverage (unless we implicitly recompile CouchDB which I don't
>> think is a
>> good idea).
>>
>> What about installing the source dir with the beam files? It
>> appears to be not
>> uncommon in the free software Erlang world to have a module-x.y.z/
>> ebin for the
>> beam files and module-x.z.y/src for the sources.
>
> Okay, you have a point. Perhaps something like:
>
>  ./configure --with-profiling --with-coverage
>
> This would be more elegant that cluttering up `couchdb` or similar.

Ah no, you got that wrong (or I explained it badly :)
coverage needs a different build, so --with-coverage makes sense.

Profiling does not need a recompilation and would best
served (IMHO) as couchdb --profile-function-calls and --profile-
function-times
or however that would be integrated into the command.

couchdb --profile=function-calls --profile=function-call-times
--profile=function-fall-times-cpu or have some way to pass
options down to the profiler, you get the idea, some way of
specifying at runtime how to profile CouchDB.

I can come up with a more thought out proposal if you like :)

The other? Opinions on that?

Cheers
Jan