From Damien Katz <damienk...@gmail.com>
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 16:57:43 GMT
Right now, view indexes just grow and grow with each new index update.
Since they are just indexes, and not the data itself, compaction is
simply a matter of deleting the index files.

Also, the current Btree implementation isn't completely self
balanacing. It misses a balancing condition, partially for efficiency
(it's an expensive balancing operation), and for expediency. It was
easier to not implement it and gets the general case perormance boost.

The thing about this is, the btree code can remain as is if the
indexing compaction just recopies the map values (and back indexes)
and recomputes the reduction values. That's a very simple design,
however, if the btree is completely self balancing, then the btree can
be copied on a node by node basis, instead of a value by value basis,
and the reduction values need not be recomputed all. This will make
the compaction significantly faster overall.