From Damien Katz <damienk...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance and Statistics Module Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 19:34:52 GMT
So we need ways to measure and monitor the performance of various
CouchDB components.

Optimizations of core CouchDB code hasn't begun yet. I did spend a
small time profiling CouchDB using the built-in Erlang tools, but
using the Erlang tools collecting the data into something coherent was
a challenge.

I think we need to add performance measuring code in our source. What
this will require is probes in the code to generate statistics (time
taken, values process, bytes written, errors encountered, etc),
emitting the values to a statistics collection process. I'm thinking
we can use DTRACE, but if not, we can build an erlang module pretty
easily to do something similar.

Then as we optimize code, we place probes in the high levels of code,
then measure, change, add probes, measure, change... recursing down
through the lower levels of code.

One reason not to use DTRACE, is we want the performance stats
available to admins in production settings. Maybe we need both low
level DTRACE profiling, and high level performance monitoring, though
it would be nice if we could combine them.