From "Dale Johnson" <dale.john...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: scaling couchdb
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 09:49:06 GMT
Jan,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Probably the core team has been
at this awhile, and when newbies come by asking the same old
questions, they probably seem a bit thick ;)  Obviously I need
to go through the mailing lists, and RTFM, as they say.  Thanks
for linking me to the obviously placed road map.

So about the roadmap, obviously the "next release" is 0.9.  I'm
going to guess that "server storage partitioning" being in that
third section puts it 1.1-ish, putting us into perhaps next year?

Please don't think I'm trying to be pushy or anything, I just
need to figure out if the timeline (and system design) for CouchDB
fits into the timeline and constraints for the project that I'm
working on.

I think this statement from the FAQ might have got me on the
wrong track:

"How Much Stuff can I Store in CouchDB?

With node partitioning, virtually unlimited. For a single database
instance, the practical scaling limits aren't yet known."

I think it suggests that CouchDB supports node partitioning,
which is non-trivial for applications to implement in a way that's
easy for operations to manage.

Dale.

--
Dale Johnson (dale.johnson@gmail.com)