From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Integrated Full Text Indexing and Reporting Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:29:13 GMT
CouchDB needs integrate full-text indexing support. We should be able
to support multiple full text engines, but our reference
implementation will be Apache Lucene.

Initially (I'm hoping for 0.9.0)  we should be able to index all
documents and their attachments (for types that lucene can index
anyway) and return queries against that index via. Jan has begun this
work and I think someone has this mostly working now somewhere, but
its not in trunk?

By 1.0, we should also do a view intersections with full text results.
At query time, CouchDB gets back a list of matching documents and then
finds the emited view rows from those documents,  and returns them
sorted by relevance score. This will require some enhancements to the
internal view API, but the data and required index (views keys by doc
id) already exist to make this efficient.

Perhaps not initially, but eventually the integration of the fulltext
engine will be as proper couchdb HTTP and daemon plug-ins (once those
apis are established).