From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB code coverage and profiling
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:47:09 GMT
Heya Noah.
On Jul 3, 2008, at 15:15, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 02:52:55PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> It'd be nice if we could integrate the generation of these
>> statistics into the
>> installation somehow. For example the optional installation of the
>> src
>> directory, so users and developers can easily do a c(module). on
>> the Erlang
>> shell for testing new stuff. Or do a "make profile" to get
>> profiling results
>> and all that. Any ideas on how to do that?  Noah?
>
> My initial thoughts are that the build system is not the best place
> for this.
>
> How about:
>
> * A special flag to `couchdb` that triggers profiling
> * A special script in the source directory that will profile CouchDB
> for you

Yeah, I don't know what the right place is, but it'd be nice if it was
easy for a developer or tester to access. A flag will do for profiling,
but not for the coverage (unless we implicitly recompile CouchDB which
I don't think is a good idea).

What about installing the source dir with the beam files? It appears
to be not uncommon in the free software Erlang world to have a
module-x.y.z/ebin for the beam files and module-x.z.y/src for the
sources.

Cheers
Jan