From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB Success Stories
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 18:56:28 GMT

On Jul 3, 2008, at 20:46, Robert Dionne wrote:

> I've been using the 0.7.2 version for some time now and it's rock
> solid. There were issues getting it all built on OSX, etc.. but I
> run it for days at a time without even thinking about it.
>
> I'm using the Java client on one end to run some legacy code. I'm
> essentially using couchdb as a poor mans RDF store. On the other end
> I have an Erlang based app that is loading large RDF graphs where
> each node is running in it's own process. It uses erlcouch to talk
> to couchdb. I'm not able to discuss the app, it's a research
> prototype.
>
> I'm a fan of couchdb. I caught the Erlang bug three years ago and
> have tried to use it whenever I can. I think couchdb is a very
> timely project and have always thought the best solution to O-R
> mapping is get rid fo the R :). I've poked at the code some and am
> hopeful to spend more time with it, and even help out if I can.
>
> I just bit the bullet and built 0.8 this morning, knowing erlcouch
> and the Java clients would probably break as there's been a lot of
> good work since 0.7.2, surprisingly all my stuff more or less works.

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

> I did run the unit tests. Under FIrefox, with the exception of
> replication (see below) test they all ran. However when running with
> Webkit it gets to the "attachments" test and Webkit goes off the
> deep end, cpu at 99%, etc... I'm running MAC, dual core OSX 10.4.1

Both are known issues. We haven't got around to fix the WebKit weird
behaviour yet, since FF works, this is not a priority. The replication
problem surfaces when IPv6 is enable which it is on OS X by default
IIRC so localhost will resolve to :::1 where CouchDB is not listening.
Using http://127.0.0.1:5984/ to access the test suite or disabling
IPv6 dose the trick here. So all is well with your installation :)

Again, thanks for sharing!

Cheers
Jan