From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance and Statistics Module Re: CouchDB 0.9 and 1.0
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 19:46:58 GMT
On Jul 3, 2008, at 21:34, Damien Katz wrote:

> Optimizations of core CouchDB code hasn't begun yet. I did spend a
> small time profiling CouchDB using the built-in Erlang tools, but
> using the Erlang tools collecting the data into something coherent
> was a challenge.

I posted about the traces and coverage analysis earlier today and I
hope that we get a few of the Erlang folks to have a look at that. Joe
announced interest in these numbers but I don't know if he will give
us any feedback :-)

> One reason not to use DTRACE, is we want the performance stats
> available to admins in production settings.

As far as I understand, DTRACE is designed to be just that, a tool for
admins (and developers of course). A reason why not to use DTrace is
support for platforms that don't have DTrace. Namely Linux and
Windows. So I think an internal  modules that gathers runtime
statistics is still a good idea. So we can see high level things like,
queries executed, caches used, data transferred and so on.

I'd be willing to help writing such a module since I've done a
conceptually similar thing already for the runtimeconfig branch.

Cheers
Jan