From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB on Windows (was Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release)
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:47:46 GMT
Heya Zhengji,

On Jun 18, 2008, at 14:43, zhengji.li@t3gt.com wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2008, at 20:58, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Heya,
>> We do want CouchDB to run on Windows, we just don't
>> have any developer resources there. If you'd like to step
>> in, any help is highly appreciated.
>>
>> On Jun 16, 2008, at 14:00, zhengji.li@t3gt.com wrote:
>>
>>> CouchDB is great. But, does CouchDB want to say "sorry, I do not
>>> like
>>> Windows"?
>>>
>>> I have found three major problems with CouchDB on Windows now. Hope
>>> that
>>> they could be resolved in formal release.
>>>
>>> 1. couch_server:all_databases() does not work on file name case-
>>> insensitive
>>> OS, such as Windows;
>>
>> Why is that? It Works fine on OS X's HFS+ which is case insensitive.
>
> "Filename -- Root": the "--" here will not work as we want
> obviously. For
> example, Filename = "e:/aa.couch", Root = "E:/", then (Filename --
> Root) =
> "eaa.couch". Not to say "/" and "\" on Windows.

Sorry, I'm not in the code. I don't follow your argument. We'd like to
do anything to support Windows. If you could open a bug report
at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB that'd be nice.
Thanks.

>>> 2. On Windows, generally speaking, it's not allowed to rename a file
>>> if it
>>> is currently opened. This will cause database compact to fail;
>>
>> I'm not sure how this is implemented at the moment, but there would
>> need to be a special case for Windows at worst.
>>

> Windows' deny-of-access here seems to be resonable. Maybe CouchDB
> need a
> more gracefull process on this. Currently, there is a 5sec delay
> before
> closing the old .couch file handle, and if CouchDB is suffering
> heavy I/O
> load, compaction may fail.

That is by design. Compaction should be run at off-peak times.

>>> 3. Futon can only run on Firefox? How about Opera/IE, etc?
>>
>> Frankly, IE can go to hell. But more seriously, we are currently four
>> devs one full time and three voluntary and simply don't have the
>> resources to make everybody happy. Eventually, we'd like to have
>> Futon running everywhere and CouchDB running everywhere but
>> I don't see that happen before 0.8. unless some hero steps up
>> and submits patches.
>>

> For 0.7.2, after some fix, all cases except 1 can pass on Opera,
> while IE
> just cannot show couch_tests.html at all. For 0.8.0-incubating, IE
> can show
> test cases, but both Opera and IE can run none of the cases
> successfully,
> while Firefox can run most of the cases successfully (except 2, one
> for
> Unicode, and one for compaction).
>
> The problem for Opera is that when creating a DB, there should be a
> "PUT"
> request, but a "DELETE" is instead. This should be the fault of
> Opera's JS
> engine? I am not sure, but the phenomenon is strange.

Could you try with the latest trunk. A ton of things changed since
0.7.2 was
released. If you see any more problems, please open more bugs :-) Thanks
for you help here.

Cheers
Jan