From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.8.0-incubating release
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 12:58:17 GMT
Heya,
We do want CouchDB to run on Windows, we just don't
have any developer resources there. If you'd like to step
in, any help is highly appreciated.

On Jun 16, 2008, at 14:00, zhengji.li@t3gt.com wrote:

> CouchDB is great. But, does CouchDB want to say "sorry, I do not like
> Windows"?
>
> I have found three major problems with CouchDB on Windows now. Hope
> that
> they could be resolved in formal release.
>
> 1. couch_server:all_databases() does not work on file name case-
> insensitive
> OS, such as Windows;

Why is that? It Works fine on OS X's HFS+ which is case insensitive.

> 2. On Windows, generally speaking, it's not allowed to rename a file
> if it
> is currently opened. This will cause database compact to fail;

I'm not sure how this is implemented at the moment, but there would
need to be a special case for Windows at worst.

> 3. Futon can only run on Firefox? How about Opera/IE, etc?

Frankly, IE can go to hell. But more seriously, we are currently four
devs one full time and three voluntary and simply don't have the
resources to make everybody happy. Eventually, we'd like to have
Futon running everywhere and CouchDB running everywhere but
I don't see that happen before 0.8. unless some hero steps up
and submits patches.

Any heros lurking?

Cheers
Jan