From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject LICENSE/NOTICE policy (was: Re: svn commit: r659940 - in /incubator/couchdb/trunk: LICENCE share/www/script/jquery.js)
Date Sun, 25 May 2008 13:34:18 GMT
On 25.05.2008, at 14:56, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 09:06:32AM -0000, cmlenz@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: cmlenz
>> Date: Sun May 25 02:06:31 2008
>> New Revision: 659940

>> Log:
>> Add third-party licenses to LICENSE file, update jQuery to 1.2.5.
>
> This feels non-standard for FLOSS packaging. It was my understanding
> that the
> LICENCE file should only contain the canonical Apache licence and
> the NOTICE
> file should contain any other information about 3rd party software.

NOTICE is really only about copyright and attribution. LICENSE is
about the license(s) under which the package is being made available,
including any included code from third parties.

I picked this up from several mails on the general@incubator list over
the last couple of months.

Here are some references:

   <http://markmail.org/message/wr4wkeqqjsjxqzty>
   <http://markmail.org/message/7wx2hgltdjfnftqb>

Searching for some "more authorative" information, I just found this:

   <http://wiki.apache.org/legal/3party/notice>

Which says:

 > LICENSE: This file should contain the Apache License, Version 2.0
 > as well as any other licenses for components included in the
 > distribution.

It points to the LICENSE file of the HTTPD project as an example.

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de