From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The state of the fulltext search
Date Sun, 11 May 2008 07:56:00 GMT

On May 11, 2008, at 03:37, Michael Hendricks wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:56:10PM +0200, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> Chunks:
>> {"ok":"true"}\n (or {"error":"reason"`}\n\n)
>> {"id":"docid", "score":"score"}\n
>> {"id":"docid", "score":"score"}\n
>> {"id":"docid", "score":"score"}\n
>> \n
>>
>> Huge:
>> {"ok":"true", result: [
>> {"id":"docid", "score":"score"},
>> {"id":"docid", "score":"score"},
>> {"id":"docid", "score":"score"},
>> ]}\n
>> \n
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood the proposal.  Is it necessary to support both
> response formats?  It seems to me that anything that could be reported
> in the "Huge" format could also be reported in the "Chunks" format.
> So implementing the "Chunks" format is all that's necessary.

Right. Only one is needed. The "chunks" version is sort of an
intermediate
step from the plaintext protocol, but not actually necessary. A nice
optimisation
for the "huge" version is a streaming JSON parser in CouchDB so we don't
to buffer and wait for the entire searcher response before sending
things to
the client. But my understanding is that we get that eventually. Is
that correct,
Damien? :)

Cheers
Jan