From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java jokes and contributing
Date Sat, 10 May 2008 19:27:25 GMT
Heya Michael,
On May 10, 2008, at 20:59, Michael Hendricks wrote:
> Yesterday I happened across Damien's post "CouchDB Language Change"
> about switching to Java.  Of course, April Fools was far from my mind.
> 24 hours later, it finally dawned on me that it was all a joke.  Thank
> goodness!  I'm more than willing to learn Erlang to contribute to
> CouchDB, but not code in Java :-)
>
> Anyway, I've checked out a copy of the Subversion repository and
> looked
> through it for any procedures about contributing code, but wasn't able
> to find anything.  Is it preferred to email patches against the latest
> trunk to this mailing list?
>
> Does the community prefer discussion of changes before patches are
> submitted or is it Linux kernel style, "show me the patch then we'll
> talk."

Thanks for your interest! We've got a bit of information for
contributers
at http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Contributing and
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/OpenItems

We do not have established rules here for how to deal with
contributions,
but I think a discussion up-front would be the preferred option.
Patches of
course help to make decisions :-) But you might up implementing
something
that we don't like and you waste some time there ('cept for the
learning :) that
you might want to save.

In any case: Contributions are very welcome and let us know of any
suggestions
you might have. Also, consider opening bug reports or feature requests
in our
bug tracker at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB so we can
keep
track of things.