From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: Java jokes and contributing
Date Sat, 10 May 2008 19:27:25 GMT
Heya Michael,
On May 10, 2008, at 20:59, Michael Hendricks wrote:
> Yesterday I happened across Damien's post "CouchDB Language Change"
> about switching to Java.  Of course, April Fools was far from my mind.
> 24 hours later, it finally dawned on me that it was all a joke.  Thank
> goodness!  I'm more than willing to learn Erlang to contribute to
> CouchDB, but not code in Java :-)
> Anyway, I've checked out a copy of the Subversion repository and
> looked
> through it for any procedures about contributing code, but wasn't able
> to find anything.  Is it preferred to email patches against the latest
> trunk to this mailing list?
> Does the community prefer discussion of changes before patches are
> submitted or is it Linux kernel style, "show me the patch then we'll
> talk."

Thanks for your interest! We've got a bit of information for
at and

We do not have established rules here for how to deal with
but I think a discussion up-front would be the preferred option.
Patches of
course help to make decisions :-) But you might up implementing
that we don't like and you waste some time there ('cept for the
learning :) that
you might want to save.

In any case: Contributions are very welcome and let us know of any
you might have. Also, consider opening bug reports or feature requests
in our
bug tracker at so we can
track of things.

View raw message