From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lazy Fulltext Search
Date Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:26:47 GMT

On Apr 11, 2008, at 08:55, Søren Hilmer wrote:
> Hi Jan
>
> It certainly would simplify configuration, allthough the
> DbUpdateNotificationProcess setting ought to be retained as it is
> potentially usefull for other stuff than indexing (can you have more
> than
> one of these, setup?)

No, the update searcher will stay! :-)

> I am also worried about responsetimes for searching, potentially the
> indexing can take considerable time. With the current approach
> indexing
> can be done off peak hours and only searching is done at prime time.

Right, if you want to be conservative with resources, you might want
togo
with my approach at the expense of possibly higher response times the
first time things are searched for (as it is with views). I just
wanted to make
available my idea that fulltext indexing could be modelled after how
work, in case this is useful for a specific scenario.

Cheers
Jan