From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: couch 0.8.0 release
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:47:33 GMT
On Apr 15, 2008, at 17:36, Matt Goodall wrote:
> On 15/04/2008, Damien Katz <damienkatz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Storage compaction and mochiweb are now checked in. We need to
>> think about
>> getting the next release done.
>>
>> What should the criteria be for the next release? Here are some of my
>> thoughts:
>>
>> If we plan any significant interface changes in HTTP, javascript,
>> etc, they
>> should be done by 0.8.0. The longer we wait to make interface
>> changes, the
>> more apps and libraries we break and the less likely it will ever
>> get done.
>
> There was some discussion about adding a more REST-ful attachment API.
> Is that likely to go ahead still?

My understanding is that we still want that and now that we switched
to MochiWeb, it is actually feasible to work on it.

> There was a change to the db update notification protocol (sorry,
> can't remember the name of the config option right now). Are any
> further changes expected?

DbUpdateNotificationProcess is the name of that option, I don't think
there were any changes, though.

> Does the view API need any changes to support full text indexing?

The way that is t me the most sensible way to make that happen would
require changes in CouchDB that are very likely not to go into 0.8.
This would not change, but rather extend the view API so things should
be backwards compatible (but maybe don't take my word for it, since we
are still in discussions :) . Until then, indexers need to work around
some of the limitations here, but can be simplified when CouchDB nears
1.0.

Thanks for your input, Matt,

Jan