From Damien Katz <damienk...@gmail.com>
Subject couch 0.8.0 release
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:05:08 GMT
Storage compaction and mochiweb are now checked in. We need to think
about getting the next release done.

What should the criteria be for the next release? Here are some of my
thoughts:

If we plan any significant interface changes in HTTP, javascript, etc,
they should be done by 0.8.0. The longer we wait to make interface
changes, the more apps and libraries we break and the less likely it
will ever get done.

We need to have an upgrade utility and instructions for going from 0.7
to 0.8

Bugs and client compatibility problems with mochiweb are okay for
0.8.0 As problems crop up, we'll fix them and release patches.

The database internals should not have known bugs, but this is still
alpha software. I think we need to make it clearer on the site,
download pages, readme, etc that CouchDB isn't reliable yet. For
example, CouchDB isn't an acid database on OSX (maybe all BSDs), but
is on Linux, because of platform specific flags etc. These are
problems that will be fixed before shipping, but for now might cause a
lot of pain.