From "Brian Smith" <br...@briansmith.org>
Subject RE: Lazy Fulltext Search
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 02:38:12 GMT
Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> Views are built JIT as well, with intermediate
> results cached, so that only latest changes need to be indexed. I
> propose the exactly same thing for fulltext searching. The
> same trade-
> offs apply and the same drawbacks as well. What I don't
> understand now
> is why you say it is good for views and bad for fulltext searching.
> The only architectural change I propose is that the indexer is
> triggered by the searcher on demand instead of CouchDB's update
> notification mechanism.

Re-computing indexes synchronously with updates is bad. But,
Re-computing them synchronously with queries is also bad. Why not
re-compute them immediately upon each update, but asynchronously, so
that all the re-indexing will usually happen between updates and
queries? In other words, re-compute (pre-compute) indexes using and and
all idle resources.

- Brian